GULF MIDDLE STUDENT DRESS CODE 2016-2017
2016-2017 Dress Code
GULF MIDDLE STUDENT DRESS CODE
Gulf Middle School enforces the student dress code adopted by The School District of Lee County. The purpose of our dress code policy is to encourage students to focus on the learning process without the distractions of unsuitable dress and grooming. Students should maintain a clean appearance at all times. The following establishes the minimum acceptable standards for student dress to be interpreted and enforced by the principal or designee.
- Translucent (see-through) or lace tops are not permitted.
- Shirts may not be tied or twisted up. Shirts or dresses shall be appropriately fastened in accordance with the design of the clothing.
- Tops may not be excessively tight.
- Midriffs should not be shown at any time.
- Strapless or low-cut clothing (including plunging V-neck shirts) is not permitted even with a camisole or tank top underneath it.
- All shirts or dresses worn under jackets, sweatshirts or sweaters must adhere to the dress code.
- Long, over-sized sports jerseys are prohibited.
- Pants with holes are not permitted.
- Shorts and skirts must be no shorter than three inches above both the front and back of the knee. Leggings are not permitted to be worn under shorts or skirts.
- Pants may not be excessively tight (no leggings, tights, yoga style pants or sweat pants).
- Pants shall be properly fastened, buttoned, zipped and worn at the natural waistline.
- Pajama pants and undergarments may not be worn as outerwear, nor should they be visible at any time.
- Shoes (appropriate footwear) shall be worn at all times. All footwear must have backs/straps. Bedroom slippers, flip-flops, and sport sandals are not permitted.
- Hair must be a natural color.
- Shaved designs into the eyebrows are not permitted.
- Adornments, which are attached (pierced) to exposed body parts (other than the ears) are not permitted. Specifically, jewelry for pierced tongues, noses, eyebrows, and lips is not permitted. Gauging of the ears is also not permitted.
- Writing, tattoos, or body stickers on face, arms, hands, or legs is not permitted. Writing on clothing with pens or markers is not permitted.
- During the school days the wearing of hats, stocking caps, bandanas, jacket hoods, and sunglasses are not permitted. Hats may be worn at P.E. only.
- Any articles of clothing or jewelry (chains, bracelets, rings, chokers) that could likely cause injury are not permitted. Wallet chains, mesh gloves, and fingerless gloves are prohibited.
- Symbols that promote the use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, weapons, or any other illegal activity are not permitted.
- Gang-related tattoos, or other tattoos that may cause a substantial disruption to the educational environment as determined by the principal, are prohibited.
- Clothing with slogans or advertising of a controversial or obscene nature are not permitted.
- Due to various health issues for some students and staff, perfume, cologne, body spray, sunscreen, and other strong aromatic items must be applied at home.
Students are expected to meet dress code expectations each day of school. Students who choose not to meet the dress code will not be permitted in class until appropriate clothing is secured. The administration reserves the right to declare other items not covered in this dress code inappropriate for school. The final decision as to whether an item is appropriate for school rests with the school administration. Repeated, purposeful violations of the GMS dress code will be considered as insubordination. Insubordination will be dealt with in accordance with the guidelines in the Code of Conduct for Lee County Public Schools.
DRESS CODE WARNING
Your child was seen today for the highlighted dress code violation on the front of this paper. This is an official dress code warning for your child. Students will receive two dress code warnings before a referral is written. We are hopeful this reminder will assist in correcting the noted dress code violation prior to a referral being written. Once a referral is given to a student, we will follow the School District of Lee County Code of Conduct for Students (page 51) in determining disciplinary action.
Please sign below and return this form to the front office. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the main office at (239) 549-0606.
Child’s Name: _____________________________________________________________
Teacher’s Name: ___________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: ______________________________________________________